OWON Oscilloscopes

Owon Electronics and test equipments. Discussion area is now open!
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:06 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to owon

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Owon XDS3102A information, Tests!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

Owon XDS3102A

It is 100MHz, 1GSa/s, 2 channel and 40M memory oscilloscope.
A after model number tell that it is 12-bit model

(XDS3102 is 8-bit)

12 bit means much more resolution/accuracy if compare to 8bit.

There is 12bit ADC. It is not made as some kind of software "high res". This 12 bit is full band width.

First opinions and tests soon....

Post subject: Re: Owon XDS3102A information, Tests!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:34 am 
Site Admin

http://owon.forumup.com/viewtopic.php?t=258&mforum=owon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:26 am 
Site Admin

First thought was that the external finishing feel some amount more valuable than the SDS model. Rotary knobs feels good. Also there is some kind of rubber surface over knobs. And they feel solid.

First feel when I push power on was that ...oh this unit is DOA. Only red light on then power button and when I push it feel is like it try boot but it do not boot... omg. But no. It need push bit more long time perhaps just over 1 second and it turns green and scope start booting with advertising image on the screen. TFT feels very good industrial quality. Of course it have LED backlight. Contrast is high and viewing angle also much better than in many entry level scopes. Not only horizontal angle but also vertical.

I have not tested it yet. I need use it some amount timew with it so that I learn how to use it.
Also, there is not User Manual available yet.

This is important time before tests for avoid some stupid mistakes what are usual when peoples take new scope out from box and start video for ******** crap review. I do not this. I will do goood grade tests with data, with measurements etc.

FW in this scope is very first. FW 1.0.0.0. So it may hav even severe class FW bugs and design errors at this time. I have found some bugs but overall it works.

This XDS3102A what I have is with standard 8" 800x600 TFT
-With optional capasitive touch panel.
-With optional: Wi-Fi

This A is 12 bit version.
It have true 8 and 12bit ADC but there is also limitations. With 12bit maximum single channel samplerate is 500MSa/s. With 8bit it have max 1GSa/s.

I have some kind of quess about what kind of ADC they have used.
But too early to tell any fact. (My preliminary quess is that it is something like Hittite HMCAD1520. But - this is really only one possible. If it is this, it fully explain all how XDS3kA works.)

Edit: It have Hittite HMCAD1520!

First touch with touch panel was much better than I expect.
Of course all manual buttons are working parallel with touch panel. Touch panel have also multi touch function so with 2 finger you can zoom in out vert and horiz. But using this need more experience before I can tell more.

There is not intensity grading. This is sad but imho not "show stopper". Oscilloscope is for analyzing signal parameters, not for nice scenery pictures. Of course intensity grading is nice and on some cases important. (I hope they can develop it in future FW's)

Waveform update rate (only quick test) is least over 60000 wfm/s.
But, if compare visually waveform with well done intensity grade display and this without it, visual efect is that trace looks more "fat" in Owon - naturally.
It do NOT mean there is more noise! There is not, instead there is perhaps less noise as usual in this oscilloscope class. But, intensity grade "hide" noise, and highlight center of trace, more or less as in analog scopes.
With persistence there is at this time available 4 level intensity decay effect.

Freq response -3dB point related to 1MHz ref is over roughly ~180MHz
but also this measurement was not yest full accurate test.

Horizontal speeds are from 2ns/div up to 1000s/div

Vertical selections are 1mV/div to 10V/div in scope input BNC.
1 and 2mV/div have fixed 20MHz BW rejection. (Why it is not user selectable?)
There is not fine adjust between 1-2-5 sequence. But it need also note in this position that Owon have full scale display. Vertically 10div what is also roughly ADC full scale.

Most of scopes have 8div vertically but still ADC full scale is around 10div.

It looks that noise level is good and very ok in this class. I can accept Owon claim "low bacround noise" is not lie.

First look to FFT was that it have something more than usual 1-2k (500 - 1k resolution) points FFT math.

Also, in this version Owon (also TDS models have) have implemented zoomed window display and very nice is also that zoomed window have more vertical height than upper unzoomed area.

XDS can also use optional Battery. (I do not have battery for this)

Just this one image at this time. (signal is just "nothing" but environment noise just for proof there is not intensity grading. In this image, persistence is off. I do not know what was wfm/s update rate in this image, perhaps something between 10 and 20kwfm/s. Later I will test wfm/s with many different settings.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Here is first part of waveform update rate table.

Oscilloscope settings. Trigger normal (not auto), rising edge, Acquisition: Normal. Display: Dots. Persistence: Off.

Measureme nt made from Trig Out signal using second oscilloscope (just for watching) and HP53131A counter. Counter set: Event counting and trigger manually set for edge. Gate time 1 second and for some lowest speed 10s. This method give good average and not highest peak value.

It need note that in many cases wfm/s speed may rise small amount if persistence is on. (in some cases it may rise up to around 5-10%)

About memory.

When 1 channel ise selected for use there is available up to 40M sampling buffer. 1k, 10k, 100k, 1M, 10M, 20M and 40M

If two channel in use, for both channel separately 1k, 10k, 100k, 1M, 10M, 20M.

Owon works so that what memory user have selected is always memory lenght. Scope do not reduce it with fast t/div settings for display width.
Example: If sampling speed is 1GSa/s and there is 1k memory selected by user. If t/div setting is example 10ns/div there is around 150 sample points in display width. Rest of sample points are outside of display. If you stop scope you can zoom out and see whole lenght.
Scope do not optimize lenght for maximal wfm/s speed. It use fixed lenght principle. It have pros and cons.

Owon claims it have 75000 waveform/second maximum speed.
I can not find this speed. There is some very short time "random" peaks and there I have seen upt to around 71kwfm/s but this is not value what is useful for user. I think more fair is tell average over enough TFT update sequences. Least it need measure over one whole TFT update period.
I have used 1s average. Whole wfm/s speed thing is so that this is "so what" if it is 65.0k or 65.7k or 70.2k. More speed is nice but it reaqlly need remember that speed alone is not all. It need think also blind time and so on.

For this level of scope my opinion is that Owon wfm/s speed is overall good.

Owon do not have intensity grading! With persistence there is small amount intensity grading with other color and if I have looked right 4 step intensity grade. But it is only for persistence and it have quite rough scale, 1s, 5s 30s and infinite.

With some t/div and memory settings 12 bit is forced on and 8bit can not select. With some other t/div - memory settings there can select 8bit or 12bit. Main rule is. Max samplerate 1GSa/s is available only with 8bit.
12bit ADC maximum samplerate is 500MSa/s.

If scope use both channels, user can not select between 8bit and 12bit in any cases. With some t/div scope force 8bit and with some other t/div scope force 12bit on. (later in next table I show it)

Here first part of table. (in this table there is only 1k - 100k memory settings, missing 1M, 10M, 20M and 40M but logic is same))

NOTE: Values are least 1s averages. These are not "peak" speed values what are bit more high but in real work these peak values are nearly like nonsense. (exept in promotional advertisements)

These values are comparable also with my other measurements with other oscilloscopes.

n/a = this mode is not available. In this case scope automatically force only possible selection on. (12bit or 8bit depending situation.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Just quick look to FFT.

It looks quite nice in this price class.

Signal 86MHz from HP8644B signal generator.
Level adjusted so that signal p-p is just under 10div on the scope.
In main image center is this signal.
After then signal dropped 70dB and take other image (right side is clip of this image) then drop 10dB more. Now signal is 80dB under original signal. (left side is clip of this image)
All other settings untouched, only adjusted generator level.

Oscilloscope settings. Acquire mode normal, ADC 12bit mode, Memory 10k, sampling rate 250MSa/s. Trigger auto, rising edge. Display: Vectors, Persistence 2s.
FFT. Due to sampling speed FFT range is 0 - 125MHz. Selected 500kHz/div and 86MHz center, and vertical 10dB/div. Vertically shifted so that bottom of FFT trace (noise) is bit over display signal area bottom.

80dB. Imho, It is really amazing good value for oscilloscope in this class.

Later when I have more time for this I want look also FFT more deeply.

It looks like user can select more or less resolution (between two value) but I have not yet enough facts what I have proofed with my own eyes.

This scope have also WiFi.

Look image right top corner. There is WiFi symbol on.
For this image transfer I just set scope to WiFi AP, IP address, and encryption (in this case just open)
PC was conncted to scope using WiFi.

For XDS3000 series, WiFi is factory Option.
No any hassle with cables etc. Just PC on, look available wireless and connect. Open Owon PC software and do port setting for WiFi and get image(s) It works from box just as 1-2-3-Go. (Windows 7) without any kind of hassle.

I do not know WiFi Option retail price but my estimate is around 50 eur in Finland. (only preliminary estimate)

Also XDS3000 seies have Optional touch panel (I have TFT 800x600 8" panel + Option touch panel). Its retail price is around 55-60 eur in Finland. (only preliminary estimate)

It also works! It feel nice add for do adjustments - all can do with it, all can do with knobs and perhaps best for use is both together. Also it have multitouch so ther can zoom with two fingers. It works quite smoothly and mostly also fas, also sensitivity is good so that do not need press (it is capasitive).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Just random images.

This show windowed Zoom.
With this mode can also use cursors and user can select if he want cursors for base window or bottom zoomed window.

In this first image samplerate is not enough for signal. Sample period is 40ns. Specially this narrow pulse fails totally (note: sinx/x is working)

Here sample period is 4ns and result is much better. Just changed memory setting for higher samplerate.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Here is full table about waveform update rate for 2 channels in use.
It need note that if persistence is in use then wfm/s speed may be bit higher with some settings.

In this table is used 1s or 10s average speed. There may be some higher wfm/s speed if look highest short time peak speed. I do not use this.

With 2 channel in use, user can not select if scope use 8 or 12bit ADC mode.
Scope select this depending memory and t/div setting. As can see in table, in two channel mode max samplerate is 500MSa/s (both channel 500MSa/s)
When ADC is working with 2 channel mode it can do 12bit converion only with 250MS/s speed.

It do not look bad at all. Also it have quite good speed with wide range of t/div.
It need also note that Owon do NOT use automatic acquisition lenght adjust for dislpay width. So, 1k is 1k and 20M is 20M with all t/div settings.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:31 am 
Site Admin

Here is full table about waveform update rate for one channel in use.
It need note that if persistence is in use then wfm/s speed may be bit higher with some settings.

In this table is used 1s or 10s average speed. There may be some higher wfm/s speed if look highest short time peak speed. I do not use this.

NOTE: There is error in table text. There read Ch1+Ch2.
This table is ONE channel in use. (Ch1 OR Ch2, not bothh)

With some t/div and memory settings user can select between 8 or 12 bit mode for ADC. If n/a then scope of course use only option. (If ADC is working in one channel mode then 12 bit mode max real samplerate 500MSa/s )

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Most slow timebase is 1000s/div.

Display width is 15.2div. It give 15200 second record time.
(Display waveform width is 760pixel. 50pixel for one div)

15200 second is 4h 13m 20s. With this can do continuous record from some quite slow events, example battery discharge curve etc..)
Of course samplerate is slow. 1k sample/s but well enough example for some battery discharge curve record etc purposes. One note. Do NOT expect 12bit "multimeter type" accuracy/resolution. This is not at all like multimeters slow ADC. Oscilloscope have RF ADC what need think very different. Only similarity is that both are ADC's. This is very often misunderstooded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:32 am 
Site Admin

As my previous suspect, Owon XDS3102A ADC is multimode ADC where is also real 12bit ADC.

It is Analog Devices/ Hittite Microwave Corporation HMCAD 1520

Kuvassa vasemmalla on ADC: HMCAD 1520, keskellä on LMX2581 Wideband Frequency Synthesizer joka tuottaa kellon ADC:lle ja oikeassa reunassa näkyy referenssioskillaattori.

In this scope there is four ADC modes in use:

Native speed:
One channel in use 8bit 1GSa/s or 12bit 500MSa/s
Two channel in use 8bit 500MSa/s or 12bit 250MSa/s

Depending timebase and memory setting samplerate may be lower than native speed. ADC itself works always its native speed. In these cases more or less samples are flushed out. Example if 8bit single channel mode and display show 100Msa/s it mean that it take only every tenth sample for acquisition and rest samples are flushed out.

This ADC chip is really intersting chip with many features.
It was nice that Owon have developed this scope using this ADC. Really clever selection.