OWON Oscilloscopes

Owon Electronics and test equipments. Discussion area is now open!
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:41 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to owon

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Owon XDS3102A information, Tests!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:40 am 
Site Admin

About Optional Wi-Fi. what was used for these images.

What I have used it it works without problem and very easy to configure for work. It is just as one Wi-Fi access point.

One advantage for wireless connection is that there is not wired connection to other equipment. LAN connection is somehow isolated but if I do floating measurements with higher voltages I do not want trust LAN isolation and of course USB is not at all isolated by any meaning.

If use isolation transformer and WiFi it can safely do floating mesurements, and of course also if use Battery Option.

Also if you run some long time test you can go to your living room and watch movie and look with yout lap top some times what is going on with test. Also in this case it is nice to note that example battery discharge tests may take long time and for these long trends Owon have as low as 1000s/div horizontal speed. In many scopes lowest is 50 or 100s/div.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

Today I get new FW for XDS3102A.
This FW is not yet official public shared and my version is scope serial number locked. (I think this is some kind of intermediate version before new full publick version is ready)
Still my scope show V 1.0.0.0
But file checksum is changed and also I can see some improvements and bug fixes.
Now ALT trig works and both channels have separate trigger setting and both channels have freq counter.
Then I can see there is selectable Sin(x)/x off and on.
Also I can detect least slight improvement in wfm/s update rate.

Previously I have measured around 66kwfm/s maximum (average)
Now I can measure with same settings 70kwfm/s (average)
And "up to" peak value 75kwfm/s (without lie this can use in ad but my opinion is that it is not fair to tell up to peak value because if think propability to catch rare glitches this kind of peak value is just nonsense. Average value is more fair.

Original version there was bug in RS232 trigger if use "trig to byte value" (data). There was one 8 bit byte value missing, perhaps typo in some internal table or something like it. If use this value it did not find trig to this byte value in data stream. (test stream was hex from 00 - FF and when I test every single value I find one is missing)
It looks like repaired. Later I make full test for check it exactly.
(and this was reason for ask repaired FW from Owon)

Perhaps also some other changes (I do not have any kind of changelog from Owon)
But, it is nice to see they are really working for bug fixes and even for some improvements.

Here is this wfm/s test for find maximum. (with new FW)
Signal is bit over 5MHz and go to XDS CH1.

Owon XDS3102A trigger out signal is connected to this other scope.

Right top you can see average wfm/s speed. With cursors I have also measured shortest trigger period. This give "up to 75.9kwfm/s peak value" This value is not important. Important is average speed.

In top window there can see also cap between bursts. This is included of course in average speed.

During test Owon screen looks this.
Highest speed is with 50ns/div, 1k memory, ADC run 8-bit mode, display mode dots. Signal is ~50.1MHz sine. Here can also note that if turn persistence on it do not reduce this measured wfm/s speed. Also if turn sin(x)/x on or off no detectable change..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Here list about new wfm/s rates with new FW.
I do not make full table. Old table is so much ok but here most important part of it just for imagine what kind of change it is. (not big)

Memory 1k. (note that Owon use always selected amount of memory. It do not decrease it depending t/div setting just for fit TFT area.)

Signal 5MHz sine
Persistence off. Display dots. Trigger: Normaöl, rissing edge. Acquisition normal.
Memory 1k, one channel in use (CH1), ADC 8-bit mode, ADC 12-bit.
t/div, wfm/s, wfm/s
002ns/div, 34600, 25200
005ns/dib, 34000, 24900
010ns/div, 32900, 24600
020ns/div, 20600, 23800
050ns/div, 70600, 22000
100ns/div, 67400, 52500
200ns/div, --no--, 48600
500ns/div, --no--, 32400
001us/div, --no--, 22700

Then if persistence on (1s) and display dots
example:

50ns/div ~71000wfm/s

Then if persist on (1s) and display lines
example:
50ns/div ~45000wfm/s

Here two examples about wfm/s speed testings (persistence and dots/lines etc). (new FW)
Finding maximum speed but also tested how other things affect to speed.
Do not look speed last digits. They really are not important. Just nonsense. 71000 wfm/s or 71127wfm/s do not make anything.
Some times I feel that also this normal wfm/s speed value is overemphasized. It is important in some cases and nice in many cases, but it not alone important when we are looking example glitches or what ever random unwanted anomalies in signal. There is many things what can do. Who is sitting half hour and intensive watch display if there happends some short glitch. We can use mask test, we can use advanced trigger settings, or perhaps simplest and still good way we can use just persistence and all together with users intelligence and experience and skills. Of course very and ultra fast wfm/s speeds are important together with as low as possible dead time in some cases. But it need also remember that we are now talking about low end cheap oscilloscopes. One scope have some good and some bad things and other scope same but different set of + and - things.
More and more I use example this Owon I really like this TFT quality. This is really good in Owon. Without any doupt best in this class. Contrast, brightness, wieving angle. Just: super. Also real time parallel external monitor is possible.

NOTE: image looks much smoother and better in live. This is still image from running scope. (when take image it just stop shortly)

Here is how it looks on the Owon screen. Mode dots, 8-bit ADC etc. Persistence is ON and time 1s. It need note that in live, image looks bit better when scope is running. This image is of course still snapshot. Here we vcan see that persistence do not reduce speed. In some cases it may even rise speed. Persistence is very important when we are looking short time anomalies and glitches in signal. Also we can see when compare other test results that auto tracking cursors and measurements do not affect speed.

And here is Owon Trigger Out signal for measure speed.

NOTE: image looks much smoother and better in live. This is still image from running scope. (when take image it just stop shortly)
Here all same but display mode lines. It drops speed but still speed is good in this class. Some scopes may reduce speed lot of depending persistencce and/or lines and/or Sin(x)/x on or off what also do not affect speed.

Here is how trigger out looks after display mode is lines.